During each basketball season, Ontario Basketball sanctions approximately 400 tournaments hosted by affiliated member clubs. The purpose of tournaments being sanctioned by Ontario Basketball is to ensure that the tournament hosts agree to and abide by all of Ontario Basketball’s rules and policies so that all participating teams experience a standard that meets Ontario Basketball guidelines.
Tournaments must be properly sanctioned in order for Ontario Basketball insurance to be valid.
Process to have your tournament sanctioned by Ontario Basketball:
Note: The process to host a sanctioned tournament is different from the process to host an exhibition game.
- Any affiliated club and sanctioned partner in good standing with Ontario Basketball and in at least their second year of operation as an affiliated club is eligible to host a sanctioned tournament.
Before the Tournament
- Affiliate your club with Ontario Basketball. Re-affiliation begins September 1 annually.
- Before you apply for sanctioning, download the Sanctioned Tournament Hosting Manual [.pdf] to review all requirements for your member club to host a sanctioned tournament.
- Submit your online Sanctioned Tournament application by logging into SportSavvy. Please create only one “Tournament” for your club with multiple “sub-tournaments” if you plan to host multiple tournaments. (Read the step-by-step process to create a tournament [.pdf]).
- E-mail OABO approval and a Sanctioned Tournament Contract [.pdf] to Tristan Cave.
- Register one team per age category you are applying to host a tournament for. Host clubs must have their own teams registered before the tournament will be approved.
- Your club will be charged $40 per tournament submitted on your application. Payment must be made in full before it can be approved.
- Once your application is approved, your tournament will be posted under Search for Tournament. Tournaments will not be considered a “sanctioned event” until OABO confirmation, tournament contract, and tournament draws have been submitted and approved by Ontario Basketball.
- Submit your final tournament draw for approval by Ontario Basketball at least 10 days before the tournament.
- It is the responsibility of the host club to ensure that teams participating in their tournament are affiliated and registered with Ontario Basketball. Failure to do so may result in the loss of sanctioning. Tournament hosts can check a list of Registered Teams.
During the Tournament
After the Tournament
- Keep all scoresheets on file.
- You have 10 days following your sanctioned tournament to submit the game results to Ontario Basketball via e-mail. If results are not sent in within this 10-day period, your club will be subject to an additional administration fee.