Updated September 29, 2021
NOTE (09/01/2021): Resumption of basketball activities should follow the Return to Play – Step 3 reopening guidelines, as well as further direction from local public health units.
2021-22 Summary of Changes
1. JUEL of Ontario
- For girls’ rep club basketball and in its first year, the partnership between JUEL and OBA will focus on governance with the alignment of rule sets, game rules, and competition dates to create a universal standard and avoid scheduling conflicts.
- More details about JUEL and OBA partnership can be found here.
2. Ontario Basketball Super League (OBSL)
- OBLX, in partnership and collaboration with Canadian Youth Basketball League (CYBL) and Hoop City Basketball League (HCBL) will form the highest level of competition for U10 – U19 boy’s rep club teams.
- More details about the OBSL can be found here.
3. Sanctioned Leagues
- Leagues can apply for sanctioning with OBA starting in September 2021.
- Sanctioned League requirements can be found under the Competitions tab.
4. Participation Rule
- Teams playing in OBLX for U10 and U11 will have open shifting for period #1 and #8.
- Teams playing in OBLX for U12 will have no participation rule.
- Teams playing in OBL for U10-U12 will continue to have participation rules outlined in Section 9.1 of the 2021-22 Rules and Regulations Manual.
- League and Tournament hosts can apply for this participation exemption.
5. Minimum number of players on a team
- Team requirements for U10-U12 will be reduced:
- 10 minimum players per team and 15 maximum players per team.
- Team requirements for U13-U19 teams will be reduced:
- 8 minimum players per team and 15 maximum players per team.
6. Team participation requirements for OBA Championships
- U10 – U12 only 6 games required or participate in OBL. Must play in OBL to qualify for Provincial Championships.
- U13 – U19 only 8 games required or participate in OBL. Must play in OBL to qualify for Provincial Championships.
7. Full-Court Press
- U10: No press all game.
- U11: Press allowed only for the last 2 periods. 15-point drop back remains.
- U12: Press allowed only for the last 4 periods. 15-point drop back remains.
8. OSBA, OBL, JUEL Eligibility
- An OSBA prep player is eligible to also play in OBA rep teams (club), but must follow Section 4.5 for procedural requirements.
- An OSBA prep player is eligible to also play in the JUEL league (club).
- A JUEL and OBL player cannot play for both leagues since JUEL is considered to be part of the club competition structure of OBA.
9. Transfer Fees
- Transfer fee will be waived for the 2021-2022 season only. Transfer fee will be applicable for the 2022-2023 season.
10. Coaching Certifications
- Certification requirements for U10-U19 teams will continue to be monitored and implemented.
- All coaches who previously took courses but did not complete evaluations will not need to re-take any courses. OBA will honour the training and prioritize completing these evaluations.
11. Sanctioned Leagues
- A player is only eligible to play for one (1) OBA registered team within any OBA sanctioned league (i.e. CYBL, Hoop City, Coalition). A player will be ineligible and sanctioned if it’s determined that they have been playing in two (2) or more teams.
- A player is NOT permitted to participate in more than one Ontario Basketball Championships per season.
- A player failing to comply with the above regulations will be removed from competition for the remainder of the OBA season and will be subject to provisions decided upon by the Fair Play Committee.