OBA Job Opportunity: Manager, Coach Education & Youth Development
The Ontario Basketball Association (OBA) seeks a dynamic manager to advance the level of basketball throughout Ontario. Reporting to the Director, Sport Development, The Manager, Coach Education and Youth Development will be directly responsible for elevating the quality of coaching and playing skills through the planning, implementation, and evaluation of OBA’s Coaching Education and Youth Development programs.
Armed with a University or College degree in Sport Management or relevant equivalent and strong interpersonal and administrative skills, the successful candidate will work closely with diverse stakeholders in communities across the province to optimise the delivery of coaching development and youth development programs. Demonstrated communications skills, administrative skills and interpersonal skills, preferably acquired in a sport-related environment, will be required to succeed in this multi-stakeholder role. An ability and willingness to work flexible hours including nights and weekends in a dynamic, service-oriented team environment are requisite.
Collaboration with both the Director Sport Development and the Director Business Operations will ensure effective program delivery within budgets.
Incorporated in 1977 and with a history dating back 80 years Ontario Basketball (OBA) is the governing body for basketball in the province and the largest member of Canada Basketball, the national governing body for basketball. OBA is a non-profit entity and receives financial support from the Ontario Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries. Led by an Executive Director and Board of Directors who set the strategic direction of the organization, OBA is backed by an accomplished professional staff and volunteer committees who carry out the day-to-day activities to meet OBA’s short and long-term goals and priorities in support of over 185 member clubs and nearly 50,000 players coaches and administrators.
The OBA develops programs to train, educate and advance all aspects pertaining to the growth of basketball within the province. The OBA is continually improving on management and administration initiatives, coaching techniques, player development and officiating while building clubs and encouraging high performance to ensure OBA remains a leader in the ever-changing basketball sports landscape on the local, provincial, national and international levels. To learn more about the Ontario Basketball Association, please visit www.basketball.on.ca. Please submit your resume and cover letter in confidence by December 7th at 5:00pm to Greg Francis at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s coach education & coaching development programs and services.
- Implementation and execution of the strategic plan and vision for coach development.
- National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) – scheduling, hosting and communication with learning facilitators and workshop attendees.
- Manage Game Plan and the Locker for coaching certifications.
- Organize and plan coaching education workshops across the province.
- Process invoices from learning facilitator and certification evaluators and host clubs for all clinics.
- Assign all Evaluations through Canada Basketball Game Plan platform.
- Manage team of learning facilitators and certification evaluators.
- Assist in the creation of the monthly coaching Newsletter.
- Work with communications team to market and promote coach education workshops.
- Assist in the development and delivery of professional development modules.
- Respond to both telephone and email inquiries from coaches across the province regarding coach education processes and pathways.
- Coordinate the submission of coaching grants to establish funding for coach development opportunities.
- Target, identify and recruit coaches to engage in various OBA programs and coach interfacing opportunities to gain experience and provide a conduit to move through the coaching pathway.
- Collaborate with the Director, Sport Development and Director Business Operations to prepare, manage and monitor the coach education budget.
Youth Development & Community Outreach
- Oversee the planning, implementation and evaluation of the organization’s youth development and community outreach programs and services.
- Mega Hoops – administration (ordering materials, payment processing, issuing insurance certificates, etc.) to existing groups and promotion to prospective members.
- Jr. NBA – in collaboration with Canada Basketball and NBA Canada, administer (payment processing, issuing insurance certificates, etc.) to existing groups and promote program to prospective members.
- Ontario Summer Development Program (OSDP) – manage logistics for coach selection (head coaches, assistant coaches), coordination of four summer camps program scheduling, facility bookings, food and accommodations, volunteer recruitment and on-site event management.
- Community Outreach – liaise with existing and newly-established community partners to deliver programming to various groups across the province.
- NCCP FUNdamentals – coordinate requests to host clinics, distribute learning facilitator materials and manage payments from hosts and to instructors.
- 3×3 – in collaboration with Clubs and Competitions department, develop and manage 3×3 stream for house leagues and recreational programs.
- Collaborate with the Director, Sport Development and Director Business Operations to prepare, manage and monitor the youth development & community outreach budgets.
- University or college degree in Sports Management or related field.
- Experience in a sport or sport-related background is an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer proficiency (i.e. Microsoft Office).
- Be able to work independently, maintain tight schedules and flexible hours (including evenings and weekends) in a dynamic and service-oriented team environment.
- Be able to handle multiple tasks, people and prioritize appropriately in a fast-paced environment.
- Very strong administrative skills and attention to detail.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills to meet critical deadlines.