Free mental health workshop for coaches
The Academy for Student-Athlete Development (ASAD), home of Ontario Scholastic Basketball Association‘s Durham Elite team, recently partnered with the Canadian Centre for Mental Health and Sport (CCMHS), a new organization dedicated to supporting the mental health of high performance athletes and coaches.
ASAD is pleased to offer a free mental health workshop for the coaching community facilitated by CCMHS co-founder Krista Van-Slingerland and Mental Performance Consultant Poppy DesClouds at Abilities Centre in Whitby.
The workshop is designed to:
- Increase coaches’ knowledge of mental health in general, their own mental health and the mental health of their athletes
- Support the development of coaches’ self-awareness and help coaches to develop their athletes’ self-awareness, particularly awareness of optimal and non-optimal mental, emotional and physical responses to various high-pressure situations
- Increase coaches’ comfort level in asking the “right” questions, saying the “right” things and responding to the mental health needs of their athletes
- Provide coaches with tangible tools and strategies to support the mental health needs of themselves and their athletes
- Help coaches to understand the links between positive mental health and wellness and optimal sport performance
Event details are below.
Mental Health Workshop for Coaches
Date: Tuesday, January 29, 2019
Time: 1:00–4:00 p.m.
Location: ASAD classroom, Abilities Centre (55 Gordon Street, Whitby)
Registration: E-mail Marg Jones
For more learning opportunities for coaches, visit Ontario Basketball’s Professional Development Opportunities page.