Sport for Life releases Impacts of COVID-19 Report on Basketball
As part of Canadian Sport for Life‘s nationwide survey to assess the “Impacts of COVID-19 on Local Sports Organizations” many of our member clubs contributed to the data and provided valuable background to the study. Thank you.
The full report has now been made available publicly, as well as a specific report pertaining to basketball exclusively at the local sports organization level.
Overall findings of the study are staggering but anticipated;
- 98% of basketball sport organizations have been impacted by COVID-19
- 86% of organizations with staff have or will be laying off employees
- 77% of respondents say their organization has been temporarily closed
- 61% will be impacted into 2021
- 38% believe they can stay afloat for more than 6 months
- 61% are predominantly or entirely volunteer-based
Basketball organizations reported decreased revenue from sales of goods, membership and participation fees, fundraising, and sponsorships. The inability to collect or having to refund membership/ participation fees had the greatest impact.
For full information please see the Sport for Life documents;