Upcoming Event: Being Black in the World of Basketball in Canada
“Honest and raw conversations about equity and diversity in basketball to make the culture of basketball more inclusive as a community.”
As part of Ontario Basketball’s commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) we are proud to partner with an amazing initiative from EDIcation Consulting: Breaking Barriers through Brave Conversations. The latest virtual panel discussion in this series will take place Thursday, May 20 from 6:30PM to 8:00PM. Pre-registration for the event is required through EventBrite.
Sessions are 90 minutes: The first 20 minutes is dedicated to discussing education related to equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) concepts in sports followed with a 70 minute discussion where we hear lived experiences from a panel of guest speakers involved in basketball within various roles including players, coaches, and officials.
- Nadine Crowley – Social Worker, Former FIBA Referee, CBOC Member
- Claude Nembhard – Executive Director, Ontario Basketball & Chair of OBA’s Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Committee
- Tamara Tatham – Head Coach, Women’s Basketball, University of Toronto Varsity Blues & two-time Olympian with Canadian women’s national basketball team
- Justin Bobb – Director, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion, MLSE & Head Coach, Women’s Basketball at Centennial College
- Ardavan Eizadirad (Moderator) – EDIcation Consulting, Faculty Member at Wilfrid Laurier University, Ryerson University & University of Toronto, & Basketball Referee
This is the second panel hosted by EDIcation Consulting founder Dr. Eizadirad in a series of five “Breaking Barriers..” conversations, which discuss equity and diversity in our basketball community.