Job Opportunity: Head Coach, Women’s Basketball – Seneca Sting
The Athletics & Recreation department at Seneca College is currently accepting applications for the position of Head Coach – Varsity Women’s Basketball. The full job description can be found below. Applications are due March 27, 2020. Applications should be submitted online using Seneca’s Internal Careers page.
Department: Athletics & Recreation
Location: Newnham (with Travel)
Position Type: Part-time
Contract Dates: TBD
Hours: Variable shifts
Posting Dates: March 10th – March 27th, 2020
Reporting to the Manager of Athletics and Recreation, The Varsity Head Coach is responsible for working with the Sport Coordinator to co-develop and manage an academically and athletically successful program that is a perennial contender for an OCAA Championship with the ultimate goal of medalling/winning a National Championship. The Head Coach supervises the team’s part time coaching staff, ensures the coaches are fulfilling the practice, game and recruitment plans, college/Ontario Colleges Athletic Association(OCAA)/Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association (CCAA) administrative rules, policies and requirements are completed in a timely manner; and communicates effectively with the Athletics & Recreation staff.
The Head Coach supports and mentors the values of excellence in academics and athletics, character development and leadership; and works collaboratively in a large athletics and recreation department where financial, human and physical resources consisting of 15 varsity programs and extensive recreation programming are shared.
Planning and Strategy
- Develop the overall athletic plans (long range to daily practice plans) to maximize player and team development.
- Preparation of offensive and defensive strategies and systems to be successful at the Ontario Colleges Athletic Association and Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association level
- Identification and successful recruitment of quality student-athletes; including hosting recruitment tournaments
- Must support and mentor the values of excellence in academics and athletics, character development and leadership
- Maintain effective communications and administrative systems amongst coaches, players, athletic and facility staff
- Must work collaboratively in a large athletics and recreation department consisting of 15 varsity programs and extensive recreation programming
- Complete adherence to and support of Ontario Colleges Athletic Association, Canadian Collegiate Athletic Association and Seneca policies and procedures
- Organization and delivery of a competitive club/high school volleyball tournament in conjunction with athletic staff
- Travel with, and supervise team on all road trips
- Support personnel includes a minimum of 1-2 assistant coach(es) and a team therapist who is present at practices and games
- Valid Advanced Development Coach (ADV) Certification or National Coaching Certification Program (NCCP) Certification (or working towards).
- Minimum five years of coaching experience. Preference will be given to experience coaching high school and post secondly school athletes.
- Experience coaching basketball is preferred.
- The Head Coach must be of good character and have demonstrated a high caliber of leadership, sportsmanship and coaching performance.
- Have strong relationships with high school and club basketball coaches for the purpose of recruitment.
- Have exceptional interpersonal communication skills, sound administrative skills, strong motivational abilities and a commitment to fair play
Note: Regular Travel will be required in this position.
Seneca College is committed to diversity and encourages applications from qualified candidates, especially indigenous persons, members of sexual minority groups, visible minorities, women and persons with disabilities. If you require accommodation during any part of the recruitment process, please contact email@example.com.
To Apply: Please submit your application online via Seneca’s Internal Careers Page.
We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.