COVID-19 Update: Cancellation of Summer Programming
APRIL 27, 2020 – Ontario Basketball (OBA), in accordance with Canadian and global health authorities, has once again made the difficult decision to cancel programming inclusive of all remaining summer events scheduled for May through August of 2020.
Ontario’s emergency order has been extended through at least May 6th and publicly funded schools will remain shut until at least May 31st – These efforts are to protect the public from the spread of coronavirus in the province. Without the ability to know exactly when the situation will be resolved in the province and across the country, we must make the decision to cancel remaining summer programs and events at this time.
Cancelled events include:
- Ontario’s participation in the Jr. NBA Global Championship – Canada Regional Finals
- All in-person coaching clinics previously scheduled for the months of May and June
- 2020 Ontario Summer Development Program, including tryouts, regional pods, and overnight camp
- Ontario’s participation in the London 2020 Ontario Summer Games
- All Team Ontario events including tryouts, camps, the golf tournament fundraiser, and participation in Men’s National Championships in Kingston, ON and Women’s National Championships in Charlottetown, PEI
- 3×3 regional events and the culminating CNE x OBA 3×3 Tournament
Ontario Basketball has taken some programming online in lieu of in-person delivery:
- Coaching webinars featuring U Sports coaches – Register through Game Plan Basketball!
- OBA LIVE – Instagram live sessions featuring Ontario’s basketball talents such as Kia Nurse (WNBA/SWNT), Charles Kissi (Raptors 905) and future guest stars.
- OBA Mega Move of the Day – A series of at home basketball drills, taught by OBA staff and Mega Hoops clinicians!
- Jr. NBA at Home – Check out the #JrNBAatHome hashtag on Twitter and Instagram for more basketball drills and strength exercises that can be done at home.
Additional online resources include:
- Home Study & Online Learning – NCCP training resources from the Coaches Association of Ontario
- Keeping Girls in Sport eModule – Created by Jumpstart and Canadian Women and Sport, this is a three hour course detailing ways to engage girls and young women from dropping out of sport at critical periods in their development
- Introduction to Officiating – Available in English and French
- Interested in scorekeeping basketball in the future? Our colleagues at Basketball Manitoba have put together a series for their YouTube where they explain how to complete a scoresheet and how to work score clocks and shot clocks. SCORE CLOCK – SHOT CLOCK – SCORE SHEET
- Re-watch the 2020 OSBA Final 8 High School Championships – Rewatch the 2019-20 OSBA Junior & Challenge Series
OBA stakeholders continue to look for ways to offer programs and events online to make up for a lost season. More resources and entertainment for players, coaches and officials will be shared in the coming weeks.
Ontario Basketball would again like to thank our basketball community for their patience and cooperation during these unprecedented times. A special thank you to all who were involved in the planning and coordination of the above summer programs which must unfortunately be cancelled. We look forward to hopefully tipping off a much anticipated 2020-21 basketball season in the Fall.