Basketball Job Opportunity: Head Coach Men’s Varsity Basketball, Centennial Colts
Classification: Part-time Admin.
Campus/Location: Progress Campus
Compensation: As per the college’s compensation guidelines
Posting Date: May 16, 2022
Closing Date: May 27, 2022
Diversity, equity and inclusion are fundamental to our mission to educate students. We are committed to education that places strong emphasis on global citizenship, social justice and equity. We live this through the strength and richness that diversity brings to our workforce and welcome contributors from equity groups including: Visible Minorities, Persons with Disabilities, Lesbian Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer persons.
We also recognize that Centennial is situated on the Treaty Lands of the Mississauga’s of the Credit First Nation and pay tribute to their legacy as well as that of all First Peoples that have been and remain present here in Toronto. We recognize that First Peoples come from sovereign Nations and that part of understanding our responsibilities of residing on this territory are understanding the true history, circumstances and legacy of the Treaties signed here (such as the Toronto Purchase, Robinson-Huron Treaty and Williams Treaties) and including pre-contact Treaties and Agreements between sovereign Nations and that all peoples in this area are therefore Treaty people with obligations and responsibilities to all our relations.
As the COVID-19 pandemic evolves around the world and in our local community, Centennial College continues to adjust plans based on the guidance provided by our local Public Health authority. Considering these unprecedented circumstances, final hiring decisions remain contingent upon confirmed enrolment numbers and the evolving work environment. Centennial College will take appropriate measures to protect the safety and well-being of our College community and prospective candidates throughout the recruitment and selection process, including the scheduling of remote interviews.
Reporting to the Manager of Athletics and Recreation (A&R), Centennial College is immediately hiring for The Head Coach, Men’s Basketball. The successful candidate will work closely with the Manager and the Varsity Coordinator and is responsible for developing, implementing and evaluating the technical, tactical and physical components of a Varsity Basketball program. This program prepares the student-athlete for successful competition within the Ontario Colleges Athletic Association (OCAA). This is a part-time position, which requires evenings, weekends, and periodic daytime hours. The salary is commensurate with experience. The Head Coach must be of good character and have demonstrated a high caliber of leadership, sportsmanship and coaching performance.
General Aspects of Centennial’s Program:
- Coming out of a modified 2021-22 OCAA varsity season due to Covid-19, we anticipate a regular varsity sports schedule this fall and winter, including that for basketball. Men’s (and Women’s) basketball competition will commence in September with training and exhibition play, followed in October with regular league play, leading to a provincial championship and national championship.
- On court training, will commence after initial fitness testing and conditioning, in October. Official try-outs will take place in September.
- The team will generally practice up to four times a week (1.5-2 hours/practice) in the evenings.
- Support personnel includes 2 assistant coaches, varsity coordinator, strength and conditioning coach and a certified therapist who is present for clinical care and all practices (Progress campus) and at all competitions. In addition, there will be a marketing and media team to help market your team to external and internal stakeholders.
- Developing the overall program plans (long range (3 year vision), annual training and daily/weekly training plans), to maximize player and team development. This will be in conjunction with the Varsity Coordinator and the Varsity Strength and Conditioning Coordinator.
- Preparing the offensive and defensive strategies and systems in accordance with the annual training plan.
- Creating and facilitating a multi-year athlete recruitment plan, including the identification and recruitment of quality, academically strong student-athletes.
- Working with the A&R to support the development of recruitment events to increase the awareness and profile of the Centennial Colts basketball program.
- Ensuring that the basketball program goals and objectives are aligned with the A&R’s Mission, Vision and Values.
- Ensuring that the values of excellence in academics and athletics, character development and leadership are at the forefront.
- Maintaining effective communications and administrative systems amongst all coaches, student-athletes, athletic and facility staff, including working collaboratively in an athletics and recreation department with varsity and extramural programs, and extensive recreation program.
- Providing an inclusive, diverse, equitable and holistic environment for student-athlete development.
- Overseeing adherence and expectations required by the A&R with respect to academics, student behaviour, and other outcomes as required.
- Supervising the team (assistant coaches and student-athletes) on all road trips.
- Organizing and leading any basketball related competitions and activities (e.g., tournaments, clinics, workshops).
- Developing and fostering relationships to help boost and enhance the Men’s Basketball program (with Alumni, community members and partners, fundraising events, etc.).
- Adhering to and supporting all OCAA, CCAA, and Centennial policies and procedures, including the safe return to campus protocols.
- Ability to work evenings/weekends.
- Proven and established relationships with regional/provincial high school and club basketball coaches/contacts to support recruitment initiatives.
- Have a minimum of five years of coaching experience with 16 to 25-year olds.
- Possessing a minimum of four years of coaching at the Collegiate Level is considered an asset.
- Hold a minimum of NCCP Train to Train Certification, with Train to Compete and Competition Development certifications completed or commitment to completing an asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge and implementation of student-athlete recruitment strategies.
- Have exceptional interpersonal communication skills, sound administrative skills, strong motivational abilities and a commitment to fair play.
- Be committed to represent Centennial College and the Centennial Colts in a professional manner at all times.
- Experience and understanding working in a diverse student population.
- Must be eligible to work in Canada
The candidate would be required to provide proof of a Vulnerable Sector check or have one completed.
Please forward your resume and covering letter to:
Darcy Brioux – Manager, Athletics and Recreation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications must be received by 5:00pm on May 27, 2022.
We thank all applicants for their interest in Centennial College, however, only those applicants selected for further consideration will be contacted.
Proof of credentials or equivalencies from accredited regional or federal post secondary institutions and/or their foreign equivalents will be required at the time of job offer.
When applying, your cover letter and résumé must include examples that reflect all of the requested skills and qualifications and must be submitted by May 27, 2022. Misrepresentation of applicant information will be grounds for your exclusion from the competition or for dismissal should you subsequently be hired for the position. We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and advise that only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We are committed to providing persons with disabilities equal opportunities regarding all employment activities, including access to jobs and accommodations during employment as required, in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code (OHRC) and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).