Basketball Coaches of Canada: Operations Director (Internship)
Basketball Coaches of Canada is a non-profit initiative aimed at building a pathway for aspiring Canadian basketball coaches. Through mentorship, advocacy, sponsorship, and community building, we seek to build the pathways for Canadian coaches both domestically and abroad. We are led by a group of successful Canadian coaches including Steve Konchalski, Roy Rana, Allison McNeill, Olga Hrycak, Jay Triano, Jermaine Small, Ajay Sharma, Tamara Tatham and Vidal Massiah and business leaders from the Canadian Basketball world including Adam Wedlake, Onsi Saleh, and Max Daviau. We have watched Canada gain basketball notoriety through the amazing progress of our athletes; we believe Canadian coaching should have the same level of representation within the international and domestic landscapes.
Basketball Coaches of Canada will be launching in early 2021. With an amazing group of leaders and advisors, we have the expertise and network to execute on our mandate in an impactful and sustainable manner. The Operations Director will leverage a well-rounded business skill-set to develop short-term launch plans, and long-term strategic plans for Basketball Coaches of Canada.
A transformative opportunity for aspiring sports executives, the ideal candidate will have an appreciation of sport for development, while also possessing a strong business sense and outstanding emotional intelligence/soft-skills. As a true grassroots organization, we require an individual that can lead at both the management and ground level. You embrace challenges, making hard decisions, and have the ability to translate strategic plans into quarterly, weekly and daily priorities. The opportunity to run a basketball initiative at the exec level is what you would consider being a chance of a lifetime.
The position will report directly to Basketball Coaches of Canada’s board and advisors. Specific responsibilities are listed below:
- Program Strategy & Operations: leverages the insight of advisors to develop an initial program strategy and growth plan including execution tactics, logic model, measurement and evaluation as well as key-input mapping
- Administrative Infrastructure: builds organizational infrastructure including business incorporation, and the implementation of key processes and systems
- Financial Strategy: works with advisors to develop an initial annual budget, a growth/3-year budget, and revenue/fundraising strategy while also leading bookkeeping and other day-to-day functions
- HR: sets strategies for the development, management, hiring, training, and evaluation of an internship/volunteer team and works with advisors to create an HR strategy that can support future growth
- Marketing: collaborate with advisors on brand strategy and high-level marketing initiatives while leading day-to-day functions including digital platform management, communications and outreach
- Launch Planning: works with advisors to create and execute a launch plan for our programmatic strategy
- Leadership: develops a workplace culture that is inspiring, respectful, values oriented, accountable and fosters strong team and individual performance
- Fundraising: support long-term fundraising strategy and lead day-to-day functions including granting collateral development, and donor stewardship
- Board: Work with and coordinate the actions of Board and advisors to successfully plan for and implement short and long-term strategies through policy recommendations, key business performance indicators and reporting
- Experience in management settings that provide exposure across the full range of organizational functions including financial management, marketing, HR, business ops.; an understanding of these functions in a sports context is a plus
- A proven executor that has led the successful expansion or scaling of an organization or project from a programmatic, financial, operational and/or geographic standpoint
- Truly passionate about basketball and the opportunity to create an impact through the sport
- Experience in program design, research as well as measurement and evaluation strategies
- An insatiable curiosity and willingness to learn anchored in a constant pursuit of personal development
- Collaborative and innovative consensus builder that solicits 360-degree feedback and can inspire and influence staff, participants, donors, partners and other stakeholders
- A positive ambassador with strong communication skills and a genuine kindness, thoughtfulness and a sense that the glass is always at least half full
- Highly accountable and well organized with an ability to oversee a team of staff and prioritize multiple projects effectively
How to Apply: