OBA Job Opportunity: Director, Sport Development
Job title: Director, Sport Development
Reports to: Executive Director
Start Date: October 2022
Incorporated in 1977 and with a history dating back 80 years Ontario Basketball (OBA) is the governing body for basketball in the province and the largest member of Canada Basketball, the national governing body for basketball. OBA is a non-profit entity and receives financial support from the Ontario Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture Industries. Led by an Executive Director and Board of Directors who set the strategic direction of the organization OBA is backed by an accomplished professional staff and volunteer committees who carry out the day-to-day activities to meet OBS’s short- and long-term goals and priorities in support of over 185 member clubs and nearly 50,000 players coaches and administrators.
The OBA develops programs to train, educate and advance all aspects pertaining to the growth of basketball within the province. The OBA is continually improving on management and administration initiatives, coaching techniques, player development and officiating while building clubs and encouraging high performance to ensure OBA remains a leader in the ever-changing basketball sports landscape on the local, provincial, national and international levels.
Reporting to the Executive Director and working closely with senior management the Director, Sport Development will provide leadership, strategic direction and support to all coach education and athlete development and the delivery of broad, high-performance programs and relevant growth planning to ensure consistent and effective influence on OBA objectives and to the overall sport of basketball.
We require an individual with post-secondary education along with preferably 10 years proven experience in implementing sport operational models in high performance sport operations environments that required in-depth and effective youth and coaching development initiatives.
You will be highly organized, a true team player and leader with excellent communication and presentation skills plus a bias for identifying and implementing broad strategic planning, administration, training, and operational marketing frameworks. Along with this you will have experience with systems such as Microsoft office and be familiar with social media platforms. Candidates will also be well versed in short- and long-term business planning, cost control management and the proven ability to build effective and lasting relationships with partner organizations and other basketball promotional channels.
This is an outstanding opportunity to use your extensive background and creative skills in a progressive supportive team environment. — We thank you for your interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Duties and responsibilities
- Design, implement, manage, and sustain sport development programs for players and coaches that will support consistent excellence across the province of Ontario in accordance with the Canada Basketball LTAD model.
- Develop multi‐year strategic and operational plans within a clearly articulated and Board approved financial framework for high performance, youth development and coach education as it relates to all stages of the Long‐Term Athlete Development Model & NCCP Coaching Pathway.
- Oversee full‐time staff managing portfolios and programming within basketball development, including, community development, coach education, and high‐performance streams.
- Identify basketball program needs through independent research and in‐depth analysis including gathering regular feedback from key Ontario Basketball stakeholders and technical sport experts across the province including athletes, coaches & administrators.
- In collaboration with OBA Technical management staff, develop athlete, coach and team selection processes as required for provincial teams.
- Establish and manage effective working relationships with targeted volunteer and coach committees.
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director and Director, Business Operations and Finance to prepare, manage, and monitor budgets for all relevant portfolios as a member of the senior management team.
- Build and manage effective working relationships with technical partners and other sports in Ontario.
- Design and implement appropriate metrics to assess the effectiveness of basketball programs, manage/monitor against established key performance indictors and provide regular reporting to the Executive Director.
- Keep abreast of new technologies and sport development systems within the basketball community and across other sports to ensure Ontario Basketball remains at the cutting edge of athlete and coach development.
- Develop and maintain key policies and procedures including a succession plan for the department.
- Focus on Canadian Sport for Life (CS4L) principles, develop optimal player, coach and official development pathway for OBA and its membership.
- Periodically act as a spokesperson and represent the organization at basketball related events to enhance the organizations profile, communicate with stakeholders to keep them informed of OBA’s strategic direction.
Qualifications and experience
- Proven experience designing and implementing programs incorporating long term athlete development models, coaching pathways and associated strategies.
- 10+ years’ experience leading sport operations in high‐performance sport, youth development, coaching and administration.
- Proven leadership qualities in leading and managing a highly effective team.
- Experience as a high‐performance coach and Sport Director/HP Director/Technical Director is preferred.
- Extensive experience working effectively with volunteer committees, stakeholders, and other business partners.
- Intimate knowledge of relevant industry standards and practices including knowledge of the athlete and coach development pathways and synergies in Ontario and Canada.
- Proven experience with effective budget management, development of KPIs, process improvements and management reporting
Skills and fit:
- Ability to set and achieve strategic objectives
- Ability to effectively manage and mentor direct reports
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent presentation and facilitation skills to a variety of audiences from coaches and athletes, to parents and volunteers, to external partners
- Proven experience as a team player & collaborator
- Ability to multitask and perform in a fast‐paced, and rapidly changing environment
- Ability to influence positive change
- Excellent relationship building skills
- Proficient in MS Office
- Travel required at times across the province
- Long hours at times to meet the requirements of the business which will include evenings and weekends
- Must have use of a vehicle and a valid driver’s license
- Must have a clear Criminal Record Check / Vulnerable Sector Check
- Must complete NCCPs Safe Sport Training Module and Respect in Sport training for Activity Leaders
- Must complete NCCPs Anti‐Racism in Coaching Training Module
To learn more about Ontario Basketball Association, click here.
Any questions on this position can be directed to Mark Thompson (email@example.com).
Please submit your resume and cover letter in confidence to Mark Thompson (firstname.lastname@example.org) by end of day on Friday, September 16, 2022.
Please note only those selected to move forward will be contacted.