Job Opportunity: Lay-Up Youth Basketball Program Coordinator
Lay-Up Youth Basketball, one of Ontario Basketball’s community partners, is currently seeking a full-time program coordinator for the East Toronto area.
Job Title: Program Coordinator (East Toronto)
Position Type: Full-time
Lay-Up is seeking a Program Coordinator to lead our East-side summer camp and school year programs (Thorncliffe Park, Flemingdon Park, Regent Park, Scarborough area, etc.). The successful candidate will be a core part of the Lay-Up team reporting directly to the Program Manager. The Program Coordinator will manage all facets of a program including administrative and office tasks, marketing and working with staff and children at programs.
Lay-Up is looking for passionate people who want to make a difference in their community, love working with kids, and are basketball enthusiasts. The successful candidate will be comfortable wearing multiple hats and executing with minimal guidance. The Program Coordinator should have a minimum of 2 years of applicable work experience and, specifically, experience working with children and in small organizations.
The Program Coordinator will be provided with an office workspace but is responsible for their own transportation.
The Program Coordinator will work together with Lay-Up’s Program Manager and other members of the programming team.
The successful candidate will:
- Help implement and enhance Lay-Up’s basketball, off-the-court, and coach trainee curricula;
- Work to grow Lay-Up’s programs and build relationships in local communities; and
- Lead all of Lay-Up programs by managing coaches, staff and community partners.
Specific responsibilities of the Program Coordinator are listed below.
- Program Execution & Oversight: Manage all East-side Lay-Up programs, evaluate and guide staff, create scheduling and logistics strategies, and work with Lay-Up team to identify and implement changes as necessary
- Program Administration: Develop program materials and complete back-office work to support all East-side programs
- Participant Communication: Manage relationships with participants and parents inside and outside of programs (e.g., absentee calls, incidents, program questions etc.)
- Curriculum: Work with Lay-Up team to create, implement, review and iterate all curricula as necessary
- Reporting & Content: Capture content and data from programs to support Lay-Up’s evaluation, measurement, stewardship, granting and social media strategies
- Inventory Management: Manage storage, logistics and distribution of equipment, snacks, prizes and supplies
- Partnerships: Identify on-court and off-court organizations that could support and enhance Lay-Up programs
- Hiring: Assist Program Manager with the screening and onboarding process of new programming staff
- Enrolled or completed post-secondary education
- Proof of a recent Police Vulnerable Sector Search
- Ability to get to different areas of the city is a necessity, specifically to Lay-Up’s East sites
- Standard First Aid and CPR certification is required
- HIGH FIVE Principles of Healthy Child Development certificate is an asset
- NCCP training/certification (FUNdamentals, Learn to Train, etc.) is an asset
- Previous experience planning and coaching house leagues, skill development programs, and other non-competitive settings
- Experience working with children ages 6–14
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel), and ability to pick up new software and tools
- Able to communicate effectively with youth, staff and parents while building relationships
- Reliable, punctual, hard-working, and a motivated self-starter who likes to build things from scratch
- Proven track record of working with partners on behalf of an organization and the ability to build new relationships
- Strong attention to detail, highly organized, good problem-solving skills, and an always positive and energetic attitude
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Customer service oriented and a positive brand ambassador across interactions with all Lay-Up stakeholders
- Interested in meeting new people and speaking confidently in a small group setting
- Mondays: Scarborough (Exact location and time TBD)
- Tuesdays: Thorncliffe Park Public School from 6:00–8:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays: Malvern from 6:00–8:00 p.m.
- Thursdays: Regent Park from 6:00–9:00 p.m.
The candidate will additionally work 10–15 office hours per week and may be asked to support other programs as well. The Program Coordinator must commit to attend training sessions.
Compensation: Based on experience
Application Instructions: E-mail your cover letter and resume to Michael Selliah.
Application Deadline: Friday, December 7, 2018
About Lay-Up Basketball
Lay-Up is a charitable organization whose mission is to equip youth with the confidence and life skills to be community leaders of tomorrow. Since 2013, Lay-Up has been running FREE leadership basketball programs in Toronto’s priority communities. We use high quality basketball training as a platform to deliver meaningful, customized off-the-court programming that will equip and inspire youth to overcome barriers in academia, life skills development and healthy living. We give our participants an equal opportunity to develop as basketball players and, more importantly, as people. To date, we have provided programming for over 1,500 youth, with over 400 in 2018 alone. Over the coming years, Lay-Up will be expanding to provide programs to every priority community in need across the GTA.
For more basketball-related job and volunteer opportunities, visit Ontario Basketball’s Get Involved page.