Job Opportunity: Director, Business Operations and Finance
Reports to: Executive Director
The Director, Business Operations and Finance, will be a key member of the Senior Management Team, contributing financial leadership and strategic counsel in the development and enhancement of financial policies, procedures and internal controls in a manner that contributes to the development and execution of the organization’s strategic direction. In addition, manage the organization’s facilities, payroll and benefits plans, and compliance with legislative and accrediting bodies. This person is a member of the senior management team and participates in board level recurring meetings with Executive Director.
Scope of Responsibility
- In conjunction with the Executive Director, The Board and management team, set and manage goals; as well as, overall multi-year strategy for the organization.
- Manage the development, implementation, and tracking of the annual budgeting process such that the budgets will be in sufficient depth to form the basis for the planning process and for financial performance comparisons
- Oversee financial accountability and controls; ensure appropriate fiscal controls are in place to meet statutory compliance and the integrity of data and statements
- Oversee full cycle accounting functions including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, government remittances and payroll. This role includes creating and posting journal entries where required, as well as capital asset and expenditures.
- Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports that are appropriate for the organization and in accordance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Manage the annual audit process; work with external auditors to ensure accurate financial statements,
- Oversee responsible preparation of donor tax receipts in compliance with Canada Revenue Agency requirements with regular review and updating of gift receipting policies
- Create and maintain benchmarking indicators related to financial planning and disbursement; provide analysis on trends to guide strategy within the industry.
- Monitor and manage cash position to agreed level: including revenue, funding, banking activities.
- Prepare financial reporting related to grant applications and government guidelines
- Oversee the OBA financial assistance program. Produce strategy from new revenue resources to support and stain next and existing needs.
Reporting & Compliance
- Ensure compliance with provincial and federal requirements and standard accounting and audit procedures
- Oversee annual renewal Membership & Trademark agreements and monitors compliance
- Ensure compliance with other accrediting bodies and oversees renewal as required
- Oversee and maintain the organization’s risk mitigation programs (i.e. business continuity); work with the Senior Management Team on mitigation strategies, which will include safeguarding assets and the team through effective business planning, policies and procedures, insurances and government programs.
- Manage the organization’s emergency procedures and practices working closely with the ED and Board of Directors.
HR and Payroll
- Oversee all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner; submit all statutory remittances
- Negotiate and manage the employee insurance and benefits plans
- Supports some aspects of the operational execution of HR activities like – vacation accruals and lieu time reporting and management.
- Participate in recommendations for improvements and changes to ensure health and safety for all team members working closely with senior managers and ED.
- Negotiate insurance arrangements and support/provide guidance to the ED and Board regarding utility contracts, leases, and other agreements
- Internal Contact for third party IT support provider and administrator of platforms used.
Other: participate in or sit on committees that are basketball or sport related from time to time.
- Education or equivalent experience in accounting, sports management or business management
- Accounting designation preferred
- Minimum five years of progressive experience in full-cycle financial management, development, reporting and audit
- Experience or exposure to the Canadian Accounting Standards for Sports Organizations would be viewed as an asset
- Well-developed verbal and written communication, presentation skills and the ability to prepare narratives and synthesize information clearly
- Proficient in using accounting software, databases, spreadsheets and word processing programs
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Knowledge of board governance and working with a board of directors is an asset
- Demonstrates the ability to lead by setting clear direction and translating strategies into focused and aligned goals, specific accountabilities and action plans that are results oriented
- Flexibility to deal with multiple pressures and needs in an ever-changing environment
- Current clear Police Records Check and acceptable credit score
Ontario Basketball (OBA) is the governing body for basketball in the province. OBA is a non-profit entity and receives financial support from the Ontario Ministry of Heritage, Sport, Tourism and Culture. The organization was incorporated in 1977, but its history dates to over 80 years ago. Ontario Basketball has a Board of Directors who work with the organization to set the strategic direction and monitors the annual operating plans.
OBA promotes basketball development in accordance with the Long-Term Athlete Development (LTAD) and Canadian Sport for Life (CS4L) principles, and endeavors to support participants in all stages of development, from building physical literacy to developing high performance athletes to facilitating lifelong participation as athletes, coaches, officials and administrators.
Please email your resume, cover letter, and any other supporting documents to Mary Ann Dunlop at email@example.com and include “Director – Business and Finance – OBA” in the subject line.
Applications will be accepted up until August 6th at noon. The posting will be closed at that time.