Coaches Week – Kevin Barnes
During National Coaches Week OBA is going to highlight some of the dedicated coaches who have worked in multiple programs with OBA and continue to stay connected to the basketball community.
Coach Kevin Barnes
Current Coaching Position
Southwest Basketball Academy – Boys Head Coach
Team Ontario U17 – Lead Assistant Coach
Number of Years Coaching & Where
Fleming College OCAA Assistant Coach
Peterborough Power Juvenile Boys Head Coach
Various Camps in Canada and USA including Camp Wayne and Five Star
London Ramblers Various Boys HS – Head Coach
Western University Men’s Basketball Assistant Coach
Team Ontario – Assistant Coach – Current
Southwest Basketball Academy – Head Coach – Current
Who is Your Coach Mentor or Someone you Look Up To and Why?
I have been fortunate to learn from many coaches along the way. I currently draw support and leadership from our coach connect group lead by Dave Bethune and all of its participants. Jamie Campbell current assistant coach at Carleton University and Omar Miles head coach at Humber college round out two of many positive influences I have benefited from during my time with Team Ontario. We are currently implementing a defensive scheme here at Southwest academy that I am modeling after Ajay Sharma’s philosophy and he is who I am currently picking up the phone to receive guidance from. I learned early in my coaching career that I will be exposed to a number of different views and to select the ones I believe in most to carry forward and form my own coaching philosophy.
What Motivates You to Keep Coaching?
I want to help people be the best version of themselves and, in turn, pursue my own personal best. I believe in the power of sports to unite and motivate people. Being part of a team and bringing value to people’s lives on a daily basis is inspiring. I believe in creating shared experiences that help us define our character and help us overcome adversity in all forms. I believe in what I do as a coach and that conviction has fuelled my passion to continue doing what I love and what I believe is my purpose.
What advice do you have for young coaches/ players who want to get to the “next level?”
Coaches Top Ten:
- Enjoy the grind. To be a coach in Canada requires an extraordinary commitment and is ripe with sacrifice.
- Put the kid’s first. It’s not about you. Check your ego at the door.
- Can’t please everyone. Just start with being genuine and supportive of your student athletes
- Use basketball as a vehicle for building happy, accountable and productive people
- Have Fun it’s just a game.
- Be a builder. Work with others. Be honest and create opportunities for your student athletes
- Try not to take it personal. You can’t help everyone but you can try!
- Don’t compare your journey to anyone else. We are all on a different path.
- Learn and share with other coaches.
- We are all on the same team – grow the game 🇨🇦 wide!
Players Top Ten:
- Be on time – if you’re not ten minutes early, your’e late
- Put in the work – Skill and strength work outside of team practice
- Be Consistent – Figure out what you do well and make sure you bring that to the gym everyday
- Be coachable – eye contact and application
- Be a giver – give energy, give confidence, give 💯 focus to your team
- Be committed to both sides of the ball offense and defense
- Be Self Aware
- Be efficient offensively – + 50% FG + 80 % FT + 40% 3pt
- Learn to embrace adversity and failure. The two best ways to learn
- There is no discount for experience go play against the best competition you can find