During each basketball season, Ontario Basketball (OBA) sanctions approximately 500 tournaments hosted by affiliated member clubs of the OBA. The purpose of tournaments being sanctioned is to have the tournament agree to and abide by all rules, policies and practices of Ontario Basketball. Thus, the sanctioning is designed to ensure that the teams who are participating, experience a standard which meets Ontario Basketball guidelines.
All teams that are registered for the Provincial Championships are required to play in a minimum of one sanctioned tournament during the season.
Any affiliated club and sanctioned partner in good standing with Ontario Basketball and in at least their second year of operation as an affiliated club is eligible to have their tournament sanctioned by Ontario Basketball.
Process to have your tournament sanctioned by Ontario Basketball:
Affiliate your club with Ontario Basketball. Re-Affiliation begins [rad-hl]September 1st, 2016[/rad-hl].
Before the Tournament
- Affiliate your club with Ontario Basketball. Re-Affiliation begins September 1st, 2016
- Before you apply for sanctioning, please download the Sanctioned Tournament Hosting Manual to review all requirements of your member club for hosting a sanctioned tournament.
- Complete and submit your online Sanctioned Tournament application on the new sportsavvy platform by logging in at registration.sportsavvy.com/oba. Please create only one “Tournament” for your club with multiple “sub-events” if you plan to host multiple tournaments. Step-by-step process to create a tournament can be found here.
- Upload and submit OABO approval and Sanctioned Tournament Contract during online application process.
- Register one team per age category you wish to host a tournament for. Host clubs must have their own teams registered before the tournament will be approved.
- Once your application is approved, your tournament will be posted on the Ontario Basketball website. Tournaments will not be considered a “sanctioned event” until OABO confirmation, tournament contract, and tournament draws have been submitted and approved.
- Submit your final tournament draw and have it approved by Ontario Basketball (this must be submitted 7 days prior to the tournament).
- It is the responsibility of the Host Club to make sure teams that are invited to take part in their tournament are Registered and Affiliated with the OBA, failure to do so may result in the loss of sanctioning.
During the Tournament
- FIBA scoresheets must be used during all listed sanctioned tournaments. Scoresheets can be purchased from the Basketball Store.
After the Tournament
- Please keep scoresheets on file.
- You will have 7 days following your Sanctioned tournament whereby you must submit your tournament results to the Ontario Basketball office via e-mail. If tournament results are not sent in within this 7-day period, host clubs will be subject to an additional administration fee.
- Please be advised that upon completion of your club’s final Sanctioned Tournament you will be charged $40.00 per tournament you are hosting and will be sent an invoice to be paid in full. You will be given the option to pay by certified cheque or by credit card.
For more information, please contact Emerson Molina.