Gender equity is the belief and practice of treating both sexes in ways that are fair and just.
To achieve gender equity in the administration, policies and programs of Ontario Basketball (OBA).
- Ontario Basketball believes that gender equity initiatives are positive attempts to attract and include participation of both sexes at all levels of the sport.
- OBA believes that an effective education program is a cornerstone for the achievement of gender equity in basketball.
- Ontario Basketball representatives at external meetings shall act in accordance with the principles of gender equity as set out in this policy. Ontario Basketball shall strive to have both sexes represented on its delegations to external forums and conferences.
- OBA shall play a positive role in raising the awareness and understanding of gender equity amongst its membership.
- OBA shall take strong and clear initiatives to encourage participation of both sexes at all levels of the sport.
- Ontario Basketball shall ensure that gender equity is followed when developing, updating or delivering Ontario Basketball programs, policies and materials.
- Ontario Basketball shall strive to establish gender equity on its Board of Directors and its delegates to external meetings.
- OBA shall encourage all affiliated agencies to ensure equal opportunities for all.
- Ontario Basketball shall strive to collect relevant gender-based statistics on an annual basis.
- OBA shall evaluate the disbursement of funds on a gender basis.
- All directors, officers and employees shall act in accordance with the gender equity policy.
Reviewed October 19, 2016 by Ontario Basketball Board of Directors
Approved March 1997 by Ontario Basketball Board of Directors