At all times, Board members of Ontario Basketball (“OBA”) must:
- Abide by the Corporation’s Code of Ethics.
- Exercise the powers of her/his office and fulfill her/his responsibilities in good faith, using sound judgment, honesty, transparency and openness in all activities on behalf of Ontario Basketball.
- Exercise these responsibilities, at all times, with due diligence, care and skill in a reasonable and prudent manner.
- Conduct herself/himself in a manner that supports the objectives of OBA.
- Maintain at all times the highest standard of integrity and professionalism.
- Serve the overall best interests of the OBA rather than any particular constituency.
- Strive to continually enhance the credibility of OBA.
- Act in a manner that is non-discriminatory and work to promote anti-racism, access, equity and respect, and give fair consideration to diverse and opposing viewpoints.
- Refer questions or requests for official comments regarding OBA activities or initiatives to either the President or Executive Director, unless otherwise authorized by the Board or Board President.
- Where practical, commit to full participation in all meetings, special events, and other activities of the Board, unless there is an unavoidable conflict or unforeseen emergency.
- Demonstrate due diligence and dedication in preparation for meetings, special events and in all other activities on behalf of the OBA.
- Ensure that the financial affairs of the Corporation are conducted in a responsible and transparent manner with due regard to her/his fiduciary responsibilities.
- Avoid/declare any real or perceived conflict of interest.
- Respect and support the Corporation’s By-laws and policies approved by the Board.
- Demonstrate acceptance, respect and support for decisions legitimately taken in the transaction of OBA business.
- Keep confidential all information that she/he learns about personnel, members and records that are the property of the OBA, and any other matters specifically determined by Board motion to be matters of confidence including matters dealt with during in-camera meetings of the Board.
- Treat discussion at Board meetings as confidential, including the number of votes cast for and against a resolution and how other Directors may have voted, except to the extent that such discussion and voting details are contained in the Board-approved minutes.
- Conduct herself/himself in a spirit of collegiality and respect for the collective decisions of the Board and subordinate his or her personal interests to the best interests of the OBA.
Reviewed October 19, 2016 by Ontario Basketball Board of Directors
Approved September 25, 2012 by Ontario Basketball Board of Directors